Monday, February 18, 2019

The First Time I've Done Real Math in Almost a Year

Today was another short-ish day at the RHC, so rather than do any gluing or hands-on work with the model, I decided to get my questions answered and do some geometry.

I had a conversation today about reinforcing the upper windows of the gazebo with plexiglass, and I think we're going to go ahead with that plan. I'll have to run to Lowe's this weekend and buy some glass cutters, as well. This will serve a dual purpose. I'll have nice shiny glass that will look nice, and it will help reinforce and stabilize the roof of the gazebo, which is currently resting on water-damaged card stock, essentially. Not the most sturdy of materials.

Cindy and I also talked more about the case that she's buying for the model, which I will need to build a base for. The base will not hold the case, but rather the model inside it... I'm almost positive I talked about this in an earlier post. Essentially, rather than having this base be plain foam and museum board, we want to cover it in some sort of felt or fabric that will simulate grass. I went looking for that material today and had to calculate the surface area of the base to figure out how much we needed. I know! I'm finally using my 8th-grade Geometry! Forgive me for not having my graphing calculator at the ready, but I think I do actually know how much felt we need now... If we use that case.

I also kept writing/editing those newsletter articles from last week. I think I'm going to use the same information for both since I don't have very much to say that I can write in a journalistic style. I still don't have deadlines for them, but when I do at least they'll both be ready.

Hours Today: 3:30

Total Hours: 40:30

No comments:

Post a Comment