Friday, February 15, 2019

Honeycombs and Plexiglass

After an abbreviated Monday, I came to the Regional History Center today ready to get things done. Granted, I did wake up a little late, but by the time I arrived--only 15 minutes late--it was time to get down to business.

After a series of conversations with an art major that works with me, I have a gameplan in place regarding the gazebo, I think. It's the part of this whole structure that is in the worst shape, and there was a real danger that I would need to rebuild part of it. Instead, I am going to reinforce it from the inside and try to cut new plexiglass for the upper windows, which should also go a ways toward reinforcing the upper structure. I've got to ask Cindy if the plexiglass is an avenue I should pursue, but if it is I'll be visiting Lowe's in the near future for a glass cutter! I'm learning new things every day...

While I'm planning big things, I also decided that today would be more of a detail day. I did manage to place the plexiglass back into the roof of the gazebo and glue down all the loose bits there. I also undertook the stabilization of the lower level today. That was a bit of a challenge since each wall piece didn't have any sort of lip to glue one to the other, but between some archival tape and my trusty glue, we closed the gaps!


Someone also suggested today that I honeycomb the lower level and take the weight of the upper floors off the walls of the lower altogether. I enthusiastically agreed, since there is no support structure inside right now at all. Honeycombing means interlocking pieces of rigid board in a sort of tic-tac-toe board inside, so the entire base of the upper surface is resting on the board, and not the card stock walls of the model. Next Friday, she and I will put all that together (hopefully) and take another step toward stability!

The future is bright, and even though my shoulders hurt I am very excited.

Hours Today: 6:00

Total Hours: 37:00

No comments:

Post a Comment