Monday, February 4, 2019

Another Day, Another Bizarre and Unreasonably Exciting Discovery

In my first Monday afternoon at the Regional History Center, I shored up a significant problem I was having with my lovely B72 Paraloid acetone-based glue. The containers that held it were plastic, and therefore deteriorating pretty quickly. I had some glass nail polish bottles sent to me through Amazon, and all my glue has been safely transferred there, hopefully for good.

As I waited for a little more glue to finish dissolving, I began to ponder the pieces of the model that I had not yet placed--namely, a small strip of rough sandpaper and some white card stock cut in a trim-like pattern. After a longer period of contemplation than I care to admit, I realized that they layered on top of each other! Then, I realized that a matching sandpaper-and-trim strip was placed in one side of the gap between the tower and the main body of the wall. Rather than having to twist the tower in a strange way to close the gap, I simply needed to re-glue this strip in place!

At this point, I think I have finally identified every loose part of this model.
The piece in the plastic bag is effectively identical to the piece between the tower window and the wall of the mansion.

I have also rigged up a system to put the final window's glass back into place. I'll glue a wooden dowel onto the center of the glass, then, using the dowel to hold the glass, I will maneuver it through the window and pull it against the frame. After the glue is dry, I will remove the excess glue that I used to hold the dowel.

As the week continues, I hope to add this sandpaper trim to the tower, finish replacing and cleaning the final window, and re-glue many of the roof elements that have fallen off.

Hours Today: 3:30

Total Hours: 16:15 (plus approximately 6 hours of prep)

2 comments:

  1. Cami this is such a cool project! I am super impressed with your detail on this, and hope you found little glass containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I ended up ordering a couple of empty nail polish bottles on Amazon, and they're working great!

      Delete