Friday, March 1, 2019

Gazebo Glass

Things are hitting critical mass at this point in my semester, so my day at the Regional History Center was abbreviated by a couple of meetings. However, I did get the chance to put all the glass back in the gazebo today!

The vises are holding panes of plexiglass that I've glued in
Earlier this week I cut pieces of glass for the top edge of the gazebo, and I was excited to glue that in, but I first had to glue in the larger windows on the bottom of the model. Those were all original pieces, and many of them were originally cut a little bit sloppily, so I had to do my best to hide the feathery cracks along the edges. I have a feeling that W. Joseph Zack didn't score his plexiglass as deeply as he should have before breaking it apart.

After reattaching the bottom glass, I moved to the top part. As I was leaving on Monday, I found one surviving piece of the original top glass. Guys, that stuff is paper-thin. I ended up placing it in one of the top windows so it will be clearly visible on display, but it was a nerve-wracking experience to even touch it. I felt like it was going to shatter at any moment!

But anyway, I couldn't do much beyond that due to today's time constraints but I'm excited to get back to work on Monday and achieve 3/4 of my time requirements before spring break!

Hours Today: 3:00

Total Hours: 52:00

No comments:

Post a Comment