Friday, March 22, 2019

Final Touches on the Structure

Today I spent a full day working on the model, and I'm nearly done with all the structural work! I've reassembled the final porch, replaced the trim on the porte-cochere, and even glued the tiny raven back in its rightful place. The last thing I have left to do is glue the porte-cochere to the house, and place and secure the gazebo next to it. I can find no evidence that the gazebo and the porte-cochere were ever actually glued together, which is just highlighting the importance in my mind of a solid base to place the whole model on.


Regarding the base, I can't work on it until the first week of April, so I'll be taking next week off. I'm in a strange in-between stage and I can't proceed until the supplies we've ordered have arrived. But once they do, I'll only have 8 more hours of work left until I am officially and finally done with this project! I can't even begin to express how much fun this has been...

Well, maybe "fun" isn't quite the right word. This has been an extremely educational project, and I have learned how much I truly adore working with material culture and engaging with people over the history of a community. I've gotten much more patient, and I am finally, truly appreciating how important taking the time to start a project well is.

Hours Today: 6:30

Total Hours: 72:00

No comments:

Post a Comment