Friday, January 25, 2019

Week Two Observations

The second official week of my project brought with it a lot of new things! I wish I could have come in on Monday to work, but it was MLK Day and the university was closed. So instead, I decided to spend at least five hours working today, January 25th.
I purchased some acetone, finally, and was able to start working on removing the yellowing and nasty glue residue from all over the model. I also cleaned more dirt off various elements of the house. During this detailed work, I learned a few things about the model:
1) Spray glue gets EVERYWHERE and cleaning it up 30 years after the fact is a nightmare.
2) The chimneys were underpainted in black, then painted over in a red brick color, which explains why they look so dirty. But they're not dirty, just chipping.
3) The teeny-tiny wooden raven doesn't go on the roof like I thought. It goes on (what I have designated as) the side porch.
4) I should really take off my nail polish before working with acetone.
Today I managed to finish the preliminary cleaning of the entire house, and I started mixing my glue. Unfortunately, that took way longer than I thought it would, so I was not able to begin gluing anything today. Oh, well!
I'm looking forward to going back on Monday afternoon.
Hours Today: 5:45

No comments:

Post a Comment